[OSM-talk] Rendering of Farmland not 'Light' enough?

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 10:56:48 GMT 2013

Thanks for the initial feedback. I also had one off list in support of the
light green. Please keep them coming.

I will play with a couple more shades this evening and post an update.

Rob

On Sunday, 6 January 2013, Eugene Alvin Villar <seav80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I prefer landuse areas to be darker than the default light gray
background color in the Standard rendering. This makes it obvious
(especially on LCD screens where lightness/luminance of colors vary
depending on the viewing angle) that there is a tagged area there.

> You could make the case that the farmuse area could be lighter than it is
now and/or use a different hue than brown, but don't make it as light as
the default background color.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6J5ZA1hu93bYm9IWXdlVHM1N1U )

>> Recently landuse=farmland (or simply landuse=farm) has been added to
fields near me. This has led to a discussion about how the rendering
'looks' with some arguing that it doesn't look that good. I believe that
this may be due to the shade of colour used – specifically the farmland
'brown' is not as luminous as the default 'grey' (actually I think it
'lightness' rather than 'luminosity' that matters to the human eye but I
got very confused when searching the two).

>> Consider the image below, showing current rendering:
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6J5ZA1hu93bZDBTN2dZZkpDenc
>>
>> On the left we have farmland tagged. The 'brown' has a Lightness value
of 83 percent (luminance of 85%). Compare this to the default canvas
'grey', which has 93 percent Lightness (and 93 percent luminance).

>> Now consider the following (and please check your screen calibration at
http://www.photofriday.com/calibrate.php ). I have taken the farmland
'brown' and raised it's Lightness to the same 93 percent as the default
'grey' (that is, I have left the Hue and Saturation the same):

>> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6J5ZA1hu93bSzk5NDZVMm5GZkE
>>
>> In this final image, I have adjusted the Hue and Saturation to provide
more of a 'green':

>> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6J5ZA1hu93bZXhzdVJMVU44X2M
>>
>> What are your thoughts? Which do you prefer? Have I gone too 'light'
with the change and should some value in-between be used instead? Am I
barking up the wrong tree?

>> Regards,
>>
>> Rob
>>
>> Note: To focus discussion I want to avoid the argument that some people
see farmland as the default and therefore it does not need to be tagged –
it is a legitimate land-use tag and if people want to tag it then let them.