[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Future Look

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Mon Jan 7 17:20:45 GMT 2013

I agree. We have so much good data, we just need to improve the map
interface so more people come to OSM first.

My friend Jeff Meyer just commented the other day that he wondered why we
don't have an easy way for businesses to add their establishments to OSM. I
know that Yahoo and Bing have it.  Last year I helped my local gym out.
They moved two blocks. Of course, OSM was fix on the day of the move. Bing
and Yahoo had an easy web page to enter the new information. But if he had
to go through the process of making the change in OSM it would have never
happened. We can and shouldn't expect everyone to have the same interest in
learn how to map. But we should make it easy to add and update data for
businesses.

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 3:04 AM, Paweł Paprota <ppawel at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Hello Clifford,
>
> Very interesting e-mail. It seems that as the project grows, there is
> more and more people feeling like there should be some kind of "next
> level" that OSM as a project and community should reach. I agree with that.
>

>  It seems to me that OSM needs a full time staff that can work with
>> the community to build OSM for the future. I would think that at the
>> rate we are growing, we need to be planning for a much bigger
>> future.
>>

> Just a few days ago I replied to a mailing list thread about OSM's
> "market share" with my thoughts on precisely this topic you mention in
> the quote above:
>
> http://lists.openstreetmap.**org/pipermail/talk/2013-**January/065555.html<http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2013-January/065555.html>
>
> I am a developer so my area of interest is technical but I am sure that
> in other areas like working with the community, communication and
> "advertising", data (handling vandalisms, imports) there is a similar
> need for more involvement.
>
> Sure it would be great to have the project run on volunteers - money
> (some people being paid) thrown in the mix always causes problems at
> some point - but I think it's becoming clear that OSM cannot reach that
> next level without some sort of push... After all, it's normal in other
> large projects/organizations that some people are working full time on
> it. Perhaps OSM needs to evolve a little bit more to embrace such model?
>
> The other problem is much simpler - where do you get the money from? I
> thought about OSM Foundation getting involved and trying to get some
> funding for the project. Not sure how that would work legally but at
> this point there has to be a way to get money for development - it's
> clear that many stakeholders and users of OSM want to see the project
> moving forward and I'm sure some of them are willing to donate money.
>
> Paweł

Clifford

OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch