[OSM-talk] New History tab for openstreetmap.org (beta)

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Jan 8 02:07:24 GMT 2013

Paweł Paprota <ppawel at fastmail.fm> writes:

> Hi Julien,
>

>> Could it be possible to integrate the user classification visible
>> here ( http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/oooc) by example by adding the
>> same coloured man icon on the right of OSM User link. IMHO it could
>> be very usefull to know if an edit has been done by a new user of a
>> senior user
>
> That's an interesting feature. I'm not sure if it belongs in OWL - maybe
> it would make sense to implement that in the core website application so
> that this "seniority" information could be used in all places where user
> data is shown.

While I found it very useful to see the map of users coded by how active
they had been, I'm a bit concerned that such incentives will change
behavior in ways that are not necessarily useful.  I've heard stories of
programmers at one company writing very bloated code because they were
judged on number of lines of code produced.  While that sounds goofy,
getting a better color for lots of changesets is not so different.

Still, it's very useful to filter out the people with few edits and find
the people that are editing a lot, in terms of reaching out to locals
for meetups, etc.