[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Future Look

Paweł Paprota ppawel at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 8 19:02:09 GMT 2013

Hi Jeff,

On 01/08/2013 07:48 PM, Jeff Meyer wrote:
> Paweł -
>
> Please do not be discouraged by the voice of one person delivering
> an ad-hominem attack.
>
> There are plenty of people - including myself - who are excited by
> your "sabotage" of OSM efforts through OWL. Where can I send the
> dynamite?
>
> I encourage others who are supportive of your efforts to speak up.
> Too often, there is silence in response to rude behavior on these
> lists.

That's OK, I had grown a thick skin in recent years so I'm not bothered
by such e-mails. I just don't understand why we can't just talk to each
other.

I thought more about Roland's e-mail and it's maybe not as clear cut as
it may seem...

While I obviously was not trying to sabotage anything I do understand
why Roland may feel hurt by what I said at that meeting. Well, I didn't
say that much (basically "-1" and that I don't agree with this solution)
- and that may precisely be the problem.

EWG meetings are one-hour sessions where "random people" like me can say
stuff. It's not the greatest way to discuss major features like
clickable POI's - there is simply no time. So a short "-1" to describe
someone's months of work can be hurtful - I know I would be hurt if that
was how OWL or other work I'm passionate about was treated.

So I hereby apologize if that is how and why Roland felt. It seems in
this case I myself am guilty of what I'm trying to argue against -
simplifying what is not that simple - I should have explained my opinion
better.

Let's just all come together and hug.

Paweł