[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Future Look

Roland Olbricht roland.olbricht at gmx.de
Tue Jan 8 19:35:42 GMT 2013

Dear Jeff,

> Has a decision been made that that *is* the routing engine that will be
> added to OSM? If so, great. I look forward to it. Has that been publicized
> in the community?

Please have a look into the wiki:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Top_Ten_Tasks#Routing_frontend
The "demonstration instance" shows that several routing engines are offered,
including OSRM.

I would call that the location where I expect that information.

Or in the metaphore, we haven't taken a decision for Pepsi, but rather offer
Coke, Pepsi and even Club Mate alongside :)

The formal process to add yet another routing engine is to actually write it
and then to talk to User:Amm.

> Data supported by numbers, external studies, some employment of the
> scientific method that include evaluation of alternatives or the absence of
> what has been done, rather than long speculations in email.

"Hey, good idea. Go for it."

If you want data, please write an email to Pascal Neis. He has conducted
several studies about OSM and is surely happy for new ideas.

The other road would be to throw money after consultants. That are the "70% of
money on Wikipedia" Frederik has mentioned. If you have money leftover, feel
free to ask a consultant of your choice and publish the result here (and in
the wiki). Would you otherwise really want to divert money from OSMF for
development and hardware and to consultants?

Before this gets into a cultural gap: In Germany consultants appear to be
primarly paid to convey the opinion of the funder, because the funder doesn't
want to tell his opinion openly and directly. A typical example is when
management wants to cut away jobs. Open-ended research is done rather in the
scientiic community. This may be different in your home country.

> That said, your first reaction to the suggestion of adding routing to the
> home page is negative. Then, later, you describe one routing effort you've
> been working on as good - and - it sounds like someone's already made a
> decision to add it to OSM.

I think you have misunderstood Frederik. Every routing engine is welcome, and
so is every additional editor, rendering engine and so on.

The whole point is that a no stage OSMF needs to approve, fund or manage any
particular project. Frederik, I and probably a lot of other people see this as
feature and asset both of OSM and OSMF, not as a flaw.

Cheers,

Roland