[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Future Look

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Jan 9 01:12:47 GMT 2013

Hi Pawel,

On 08.01.2013 21:00, Paweł Paprota wrote:
> there does not seem to be much momentum yet for
> doing stuff like WikiMedia. Looking at their approach really shows how
> more mature (although not always right - all those formal processes,
> ewww) they are.

It will be an interesting challenge for us to copy the good things in
Wiki{p/m}edia and leave out the bad things. I've written a rather
long-ish blog post about similarities (and not) between uns and them
last April, here:

http://osm.gryph.de/2012/04/learn-from-wikipedia/

The good thing about Wiki{p/m}edia is that there is a lot of research
and I've quoted from, and linked to, a number of good articles in that
blog entry.

I'd love to have a discussion about that but I'd recommend starting a
new thread for it.

I do tend to agree with Matt though when he says that at least in some
respects the "Red Hat" model sounds sweeter than the WMF model. In fact,
as I pointed out in another post, we're seeing a little of that already
if you look at Mapbox et al.

Bye
Frederik