[OSM-talk] Simple improvement(s) to openstreetmap.org

Jonathan Bennett jonobennett at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 13:50:27 GMT 2013

On 08/01/2013 21:31, Rovastar wrote:
> My idea is simple can someone add modern social media networks logos/links
> to the home page.

As a member of the OSMF Communications Working Group (CWG), I have
perhaps the greatest level of involvement in the various OSM-branded
pages/accounts on various social networks.

This idea has been discussed in CWG, and at some point* a mock-up will
appear. It's not straightforward because we can't use the standard
network-supplied widgets -- they leak information back to those
networks, so are an unacceptable risk to mappers' privacy.

If and when badges are put on the home page, it will be for a set period
initially to see if they do result in increase signups and views of OSM
information on those networks. If they do, they could stay. If they
don't then they can come off again.

Jonathan

* Maybe the next week or so.