[OSM-talk] Simple improvement(s) to openstreetmap.org

Jonathan Bennett jonobennett at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 14:16:15 GMT 2013

On 09/01/2013 13:57, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Personally, I find it puzzling that open data (and open source) projects
> are willing to (as projects) use services with bad data policies and bad
> privacy policies.  While I wouldn't advocate that OSMF take a position
> in the culture battle against such services, using them takes the
> opposite position (that they are ok).

>From CWG's point of view, it's a pragmatic decision: Many people *are
already using* those networks (for better or worse), so we may as well
use them to get the OSM(F) message out there. We'll certainly never drop
more open methods of communication in favour of social networks, but
offering people a choice seems better than being dogmatic.

> Perhaps a Diaspora pod?  (I realize that currently, that probably
> reaches few people.)

As you say, the audience we'd reach that way would be minimal. It's also
not clear how we could create an unambiguous "official" OSM Diaspora
account and have it managed by several people, as is the case with the
closed social networks. Any help or advice on this would of course be
gratefully received.

J.