[OSM-talk] Simple improvement(s) to openstreetmap.org

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Wed Jan 9 14:37:45 GMT 2013

 +1
I too would like OSM to become the goto site for maps and directions.

I work in a large office, and to walk down the office and not see google maps on somebodys screen is rare.

I do try to promote OSM, or OSRM when asked a where is, how to get to question and try to wean people of google.

I would love to see directions on the site, but do suggest that more of us play with OSRM and weed out the routing issues first. I still find it all too easy to get silly routes due to missing turn restrictions, speed limits.

 Phil
--

Sent from my Nokia N9

On 09/01/2013 14:18 Tobias Knerr wrote:

On 08.01.2013 22:31, Rovastar wrote:
> Nearly every site now has twitter, facebook, google plus, youtube channel,
> etc links. We have these social media outlets lets tell people about them.

[...]

> I cannot see any harm in this it would take up very little screen real
> estate and I think look a more professional cohesive community.

In my opinion, the most important reason to avoid implementing this is
not the screen space cost, but that it would be off-putting to those in
our community who feel that centralized platforms like Facebook are
incompatible with the spirit of an open, diverse and neutral web.

Of course that is an ideological point of view, and many even in the OSM
community no doubt do not share it. However, I would be wary to brush
aside ideology completely: We rely on very similar ideals when we
compare ourselves to competitors. Look at Google Map Maker - just like
Facebook, it relies on users' contributions and offers certain free
services in return, but is ultimately limited in its potential to
whatever fits the agenda of its owner.

I don't mind if people use their favourite social networks to advocate
OSM. However, a front page placement is more than that. It would imply
an endorsement of that service to an extent (until now, the only
companies mentioned on the front page are ones which directly support
the OSM community). It would also give special treatment to that small
number of commercial services and neglect all the alternatives.

Personally, I want to help OSM to overcome Google Map's dominance for
pretty much the same reasons why I reject Facebook. So, please, do not
advertise Facebook, Google Plus, or any similar networks on the OSM
front page.

Tobias

talk at openstreetmap.org