[OSM-talk] Overlapping ways

Cartinus cartinus at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 9 21:30:41 GMT 2013

Hello,

The ways should be on top of each other, but they should _not_ share all
nodes. Only the nodes at the ends where they connect in the real world
should be shared with something.

A shared node means something shares the same space in _three_
dimensions and you should be able to route from all objects connected to
that node to all other objects connected to the same node. (Baring
access restrictions of course. At a level railroad crossing the road and
railway share a node, but almost no vehicles can route that way.)

Fixer tools often flags things incorrectly. That is why good tools allow
you to flag things as "false positives".

On 01/09/2013 09:51 PM, Rob Nickerson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I used the layer tag, but not bridge (as its a carpark not a bridge) but
> because the way shares nodes with the way one layer down, it seems to be
> flagged as duplicate and deleted by other mappers.
>
> For example, in the following car park, cars enter up the ramp on to level
> 1. There is a rectangular service road (parking aisle) on this level, which
> I have tagged with "layer=1". Cars can the go down the ramp to layer 0.
> Although I can't see this on Bing to fill in the parking aisle, I do know
> that part of this runs underneath the level 1 parking aisle in order to get
> to the car parks ground exit.
>
> As you will see, because the layer 0 "exit" way runs directly under my
> rectangular level 1 parking aisle, it appears to be flagged as a "duplicate
> way" in one of the fixer tools. As such someone has removed part of the
> rectangular "layer=1" way, leaving just a horse shoe (which is incorrect):

> Am I doing something wrong? Is the fixer tool flagging something up
> incorrectly?
>
> Regards,
> Rob
>

> On 9 January 2013 19:38, Jo <winfixit at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You can use the layer tag on one of both ways. It probably also needs
>> bridge=yes.
>>
>> Jo
>>
>> 2013/1/9 Rob Nickerson <rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com>
>>
>>> Hi List,
>>>
>>> If I have a situation (e.g. a 2 level carpark) where a road runs exactly
>>> above another road, how do I map this? Currently I used layers but I have
>>> found that the way is being deleted by another mapper who sees this as a
>>> "duplicated way" (possibly in keep right). Do I simply need to draw then
>>> incredibly close together but not sharing nodes?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Rob

---
m.v.g.,