[OSM-talk] RFC - OSM contributor mark

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Jan 11 17:03:01 GMT 2013

Hi,

On 01/11/2013 03:26 PM, Alex Barth wrote:
> Over here at MapBox we see a need to better communicate the open and contributory philosophy of OpenStreetMap on our maps.

I see two aspects:

1 - standardising map attribution (your teardrop+hammer symbol)

2 - making a nice "about" page

Both are not necessarily connected but can be.

Your "about" pages look impressive! There is certainly room for such a
"campaign" type set of pages somewhere on OSM where we can steer
newcomers who want to see a slide show or so. Personally, I'd even like
the openstreetmap.org start page to be very simple with a few links -
one to your pages, one to the map, and perhaps a couple more. I'm not
sure however if that set of pages (which is high on visuals and low on
facts) would be the prime target for someone clicking on a map
attribution somewhere; the copyright page we're using now might be
better suited for that, not least because many third parties who give us
their data are promised attribution via that page and it might not be
good to put that behind too many clicks.

Standardising map attribution is often asked for and I welcome the
effort. The symbol itself I find too unobtrusive though; we should
encourage people making maps from OSM to actually have "OpenStreetMap"
written on the map and not a little symbol. I don't see why we should be
content with a mini icon when both Google and Bing require much larger
attribution - it looks like we wanted to acknowledge that we're not as
great as them!

Also, we in OpenStreetMap have often positioned ourselves as "more than
just markers on a map", and logo suggestions involving the typical map
marker teardrop have been rejected (loudly) in the past because of that.
I find the hammer-and-teardrop symbol visually appealing but it might
not be the right symbol for OSM.

Bye
Frederik