[OSM-talk] New History tab for openstreetmap.org (beta)

Paweł Paprota ppawel at fastmail.fm
Mon Jan 14 09:20:25 GMT 2013

On 01/13/2013 04:20 PM, MonkZ wrote:
> Maybe colorcoded "here was an edit in log(x) minutes" (tilewise png
> transparency or css opiacity) or colorcoded "amount of edits within
> this week" (tilewise png transparency or css opiacity)

I tried that in some UI experiments a few weeks ago and it looked cool.

I think it would be nice to show that the OSM map data is really alive
and such ideas as yours above are doing that, it certainly looks better
than nothing at all and the "please zoom in" prompt.

OWL API has "summary tiles" already - they provide exactly the kind of
data you mentioned (last edit + number of edits in the last X days), I
just need to rethink how they are generated/cached because they don't
scale nicely to what's in the database currently.

Anyway, I added a new issue based on your suggestion:

https://github.com/ppawel/openstreetmap-website/issues/11

Paweł