[OSM-talk] Mapnik at zoom=19

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 15:03:39 GMT 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 7:10 AM, Kai Krueger <kakrueger at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are by now enough densely mapped areas, where a z19 level offers a
> real advantage. At z18 too much information gets dropped in the
> decluttering
> process.
>
> At the moment, when I want to e.g. check if  something is already mapped in
> a densely mapped area, I need to switch into Potlatch where I can zoom to
> z19 (and beyond). However, if everyone does that, I suspect that would use
> up much more resources than offering a z19 rendered map.
>
> Therefore imho, offering z19 would be possible and a net benefit to OSM,
> but
> that is obviously for the server admin team to decide.

+1

If mappers in Europe and North America think that z18 doesn't show enough
detail, then imagine what it must be like for mappers who are located
nearer to the equator. Because of the Mercator projection we use, higher
latitudes have a larger scale than places near the equator.

For instance, here's Helsinki at z17: http://osm.org/go/0xPL4uhLl-

And here's Singapore at z18: http://osm.org/go/4IPzwvhUC--

While both maps are at different zoom levels, both show the same scale (see
scale at lower left of the map).

If it is practical to bump up the maximum zoom level to z19, then more
places near the equator can enjoy the higher detail that mappers in Europe
and North America already enjoy now.

(Of course we can all render our own maps, but you get the point.)