[OSM-talk] Haiti.

Shawn Dash sdash1845 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 20:13:34 GMT 2013

Dear OpenStreetMap friends of Haiti:

A few days ago headlines about Haiti were all about the 3-year earthquake
anniversary.   Is that really *all* Haiti is?!

I love telling my friends that there are many businesses in Haiti and that
the country actually is flourishing.    And, again, people just do not
believe.

I am thinking that it would be really wonderful to create a map of the
small businesses in Haiti -- to show and prove that it is not just tents
and cholera.

*Let's begin a conversation about how life goes on in Haiti, how the county
is living and breathing, and how Haiti is actually standing on it's own and
moving forward.*

The headlines about Haiti should be the beauty and the life, not the
destruction and the aid!

I tried to find a map of small businesses in Haiti -- and all I could find
was something in Foursquare that's nice, but it is mainly in the richer
areas and it is more about night-clubs and drinking and not *really* the
small businesses.

*I think it would be really interesting to GPS tag as many barbershops in
Haiti as possible, since, the barbershop -- in it's own way -- is a sign
that life goes on in Haiti, and that there is indeed a local economy.   As
we both know, there's thousands of barbershops, everywhere, even in
containers!*

I am wondering if, as you are geo-mapping and geo-tagging, if there is
anyway to start a project show I can show my friends that Haiti is not just
disease and famine -- there is very much a living life, too!

What do you think?

Thank you!