[OSM-talk] RFC - OSM contributor mark

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Jan 15 22:29:06 GMT 2013

Hi,

On 15.01.2013 23:15, Alex Barth wrote:
> I'd like to understand better, have these parties been promised the
> /copyright location for credits? How do they wind up on there vs. on
> the wiki? Is there any leeway to merge them into (a better)
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors and move them a click
> away from the page on OSM that's linked from maps?

It's hard to say what is, or has been, promised. But we (=we the
project, not we the OSMF) occasionally encounter potential data
providers who have some sort of license that says "you must provide
attribution", without clearly saying where and how. Then we often
explain OSM to them, saying "you can't get attribution on the map, but
your attribution will be in the object history and if you want we can
put you on http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright which we ask people to
link to when they use our data", and we ask them "would that fulfil your
demand for attribution?" and if they say yes we can use their data.

You'd have to check with LWG but I doubt that any of those listed on
that page have been promised to be exactly one click away from the map;
they probably have been promised to be listed "on this page". Still it
could be perceived as bad style if we move them to a less prominent place.

I don't think that a Wiki page will do because the words on the
copyright page are probably meant to be written exactly as they are
there, and not subject to Wiki editing, for legal reasons. But that
would really be something to discuss with the LWG.

Bye
Frederik