[OSM-talk] POI display on osm.org

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Tue Jan 22 07:41:58 GMT 2013

Am 21.01.2013 22:42, schrieb Rovastar:
> What a great addition to the growing new tools/features to the OSM homepage.
> Fantastic work. In fact I am using the beta as my main map now.
>
> A couple of things.
>
> A)I having problems when selecting any (large) area.
> For example a stadium, park, shopping centre, hospital, school, etc where
> they are amenity, etc as an area.
>
> It often selects the smaller POIs inside/on top of the area but not the
> actual area itself (so returning individual buildings, shops, streams,
> playgrounds, etc). Often it will display nothing. Occasionally it will get a
> hit the overall area but not very often and there seems to be no logic to
> it.
>
> Is that because I am not hitting the actual nodes? Or maybe you are not
> covering areas properly?
That's the same issue I reported yesterday: The demo matches the
geometry itself, and does not know about areas, but only about ways.
So if you click inside an area but near any of it's nodes, you get the
POI mapped as area, but in the middle of the area, far away from any
corner (not edge only) you get nothing.
> Even if I search in OSM for e.g. the shopping centre and it places the
> pointer right in the middle of the area it often will not find anything.
The pointer is placed in the center of the area (however center is
calculated) - thus for convex polygons per definition far away from the
corner nodes.

regards
Peter