[OSM-talk] POI display on osm.org

Paweł Paprota ppawel at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 23 11:07:02 GMT 2013

On 01/22/2013 09:35 AM, Ilya Zverev wrote:
> Right now, in Roland's version, it isn't even clear that one should
> click on the map to get information.

In one of the EWG meetings "POI display" was split into two separate tasks:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Top_Ten_Tasks#Clickable_POIs_on_the_frontpage

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Top_Ten_Tasks#POI_inspection_tool_on_the_frontpage

I think this separation makes sense and I assume that Roland's solution
is for the POI inspection tool task since, as you mentioned, the POI's
themselves are not really clickable as on Google Maps for example. For
that the Mapnik grid renderer approach looks interesting.

For the POI/data inspection tool I think we would need vector tiles
approach instead of a regular "fire SQL for given coordinates" approach
but of course this does not mean that Roland's solution does not apply -
if it can be scaled for production and nicely integrated into the Rails
Port then why not?

It is certainly better than current situation where we have nothing
clickable and no inspection tool...

Paweł