[OSM-talk] Which renderer for high quality, printed cycle map?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 22:06:07 GMT 2013

Hi all,
  We'd like to produce a high quality bike map, to be printed. I'm
looking at the various renderers and wondering if anyone has a
recommendation?

Requirements
- looks good (eg, labels on wiggly labels aren't too wiggly, some
ability to avoid label clashes)
- customisable rendering (MapCSS would be a bonus)
- some nice bike-friendly styles already available?
- rendering to SVG would be very useful, would give us a chance to
hand-edit the final rendering.
- Python-based is a bonus

I'm open to the idea of using existing online services, if any are
customisable enough. Something like MapOSMatic doesn't work, as the
style is fixed, and it can't render a big enough area.

Contenders so far, from glancing through the wiki:
- Mapnik, obviously. Doesn't support MapCSS, but Komap might help?
- Maperitive, also no MapCSS.
- Ceyx. Still no stable release? Hard to tell what state it's in.

Pros/cons of each?

Are there others to look at? I can't find a good list anywhere
(there's http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Renderers_feature_list but
lots of those seem old, abandoned, etc).

Thanks,
Steve