[OSM-talk] How useful is the JOSM wiki

colliar colliar4ever at aol.com
Mon Jul 8 17:43:09 UTC 2013

On 08.07.2013 00:21, Dave Swarthout wrote:
Hey Dave + every one else

> I saw this topic the other day and wanted to respond but because I am
> such a newcomer to JOSM and the Talk list I did not. I used the JOSM
> Wiki to get started and learned the basics a few months ago. That said,
> what is in there is good information but there is much, much more detail
> needed to make the Wiki useful. It's also out-of-date and does not cover
> new features well, if at all.

That is exactly the problem. We need to adjust/update all the time cause
JOSM is developing quite fast but this needs more people.

As the wiki is anonymously editable with even a button to do so from
"help browser" it is not a big task to add info and belief me we do not
bite but would be happy about any useful edit.

> For example, I downloaded the latest JOSM update the other day. I
> especially wanted to begin using keyboard shortcuts to invoke some of my
> custom presets. I've looked everywhere and can find nothing about this
> new feature. I don't even know where in JOSM's menu system the new
> shortcuts managing stuff can be found. The Wiki? No help.

It should on this page:
https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Help/Preferences/Shortcuts

> So, how does one use the new keyboard shortcuts?

I thought it is explained in the start up message. Anyway, either use
right click menu in the top panel or navigate to the keyboard icon in
the preferences.

> And, who does the maintenance of the Wiki? I know it's an open book and
> anyone can modify pages but when a page doesn't yet exist, how then does
> one learn to use the missing features?

There is no maintainer but a handful of user (mostly one for each language).

----

We use the JOSM wiki within JOSM trac and of course for the internal
"help browser", but I never know if it is worth to spend much time with
updating and formating as I do not get any feedbacks.

colliar

Ein Dateianhang mit Bin�rdaten wurde abgetrennt...
Dateiname   : signature.asc
Dateityp    : application/pgp-signature
Dateigr��e  : 259 bytes
Beschreibung: OpenPGP digital signature