[OSM-talk] Todo List

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Tue Jul 9 08:46:25 UTC 2013

Given the current thread on the role of OSM as a source I think this is possibly
the right forum to post these notes.

I'm currently working through a move from my N900 phone augmented by a tomtom
sat nav which has provided me with a usable 'in car' setup for a number of
years. The N900 has died and while I can simply buy a replacement, Vodafone
'owed' me an upgrade which I was probably paying for anyway, so I picked up an
S4 since it runs Android 4.2 and the tablet I've been playing with has the same
on it. First problem ... TomTom will not work with S4 for updates or hands free.
S4's own hands free is adequate, but not nearly as good as I had. Moving
forward, locus provides a tool to replace the TomTom navigation and it works
reasonably well, but again not as 'safe' as the TomTom. I use the word 'safe'
for a particular reason which is the major todo item. Currently all four of the
routing engines locus accesses give a major problem on UK major road junctions.

The problem is that directions given for major junctions tend to be 'straight
on' where the ACTUAL move is to take the slip road. This is where I am wondering
if the 'global' nature of this is perhaps getting in the way? With driving on
the left or right confusing things. Improving UK routing to handle major
junctions safely is not something that would necessarily have the same
requirements elsewhere? The micro-mapping discussion also comes in here with
actual lane data making giving directions through a complex junction easier to
generate. We don't allow 'tagging for the router', but in these cases creating
data from nothing is causing a safety problem? I can see the same problem in
many countries but requiring a different interpretation of the data hence what
should we be doing to ensure that the various routing options do have the best
data to provide 'safe' information?

There are a couple of other items on the todo list, but I have the material to
work on them :)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL