[OSM-talk] Using OpenStreetMap on a daily basis

Knisely, Gregory gknisely at mapquest.com
Wed Jul 10 16:24:47 UTC 2013

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 16:01:51 +0200
From: Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
To: Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com>
Cc: osm <talk at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Using OpenStreetMap on a daily basis

2013/7/10 Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com>:
>> 1. Routing on osm.org
>>
>> Routing on the main site is something that's been worked on for at
>> least a year, but I think it's been closer to two years.
>>
>> It's a problem that requires some amount of developer time, as well as
>> sys-admin time, as well as computing resources to support.

>Yes, this is known and many people are probably waiting for this, but it takes much less time and work to set up one (or a few) link(s) from the map to "osm based services # routing" etc. in the wiki, but >we would have to know if "we" want this to happen, and if yes for what kind of uses/wiki pages. Who could decide on this, SWG? The board? Is there a process to propose this?

>cheers,
>Martin

We have a world-wide OSM routing solution at Mapquest that should be easy to implement on the main site.  http://developer.mapquest.com/web/products/open/directions-service
Currently, we update the route data nightly using the latest daily at http://planet.openstreetmap.org/replication/day/000/000/  Also, every so often we do wipe the database and ingest the latest planet and then catch up to the latest daily.  I would love to see routing on the main site.

	--Greg Knisely