[OSM-talk] Using OpenStreetMap on a daily basis

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Thu Jul 11 10:19:32 UTC 2013

On 11/07/2013 11:35, osm at k3v.eu wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 19:12:06  +1000, Ian Sergeant
 > <inas66+osm at gmail.com> wrote:
 >>
 >> In my opinion, it was an unfortunate decision taken when
 >> openstreetmap.orgmoved from being the wiki site, to the being our
 >> own map rendering.
 >>
 >> Sure, we need to have a rendered map as part of OSM, but I have a
 >> feeling that if we'd stayed with the wiki front end, we could be
 >> linking to off to the main map, bicycle and car routing maps, free
 >> garmin maps, public transport maps, apps, and showcasing a greater
 >> diversity of all the different OSM uses.
 >>
 >> The problem being when people from outside the project hit the main
 >> map first, is it isn't as capable as other sites, and that can be
 >> discouraging, they bounce off back to google to get their routing
 >> engine.
 >>
 >> To users inside the project, it seems to be equally discouraging
 >> when their feature isn't rendered or supported by *the* main map.
 >
 > Couldn't agree more. If there is no appetite for a gmaps style site
 > then it would be way better to have something similar to
 > openstreetmap.de which I think gives a much better idea of what the
 > project is about.

I agree with both of you, especially since Openstreetmap's strength is
its users - which http://openstreetmap.de puts forward in a very nice
way. I would love to see the showcase map moved to
http://map.openstreetmap.org so that the main site's landing page would
rather give the user's sites the exposure they deserve. I also fear that
functionality such as routing on the showcase site will overexpose the
anointed service to the detriment of diversity.

But all that has already been said... Is there a way to ever conclude
this discussion that has already taken place many times ?

Maybe having showcase services at Openstreemap.org but having the home
page push alternatives instead might be a way to let insecure new users
feel good with an 'official' service while pushing others to explore
using the whole gamut of diverse services that use Openstreetmap data.