[OSM-talk] Upgraded map controls

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Sat Jul 20 08:39:18 UTC 2013

Andrew Errington wrote:
> Also, my proposal for including
> a "markerlink" has not been taken up.

Yet. Rome wasn't built in a day.

> I also didn't see any consultation on this topic.  Just another
> fait accompli.

Hey Andrew, I noticed you did some edits to the map the other day. That's
fine, but you didn't give everyone a chance to comment on them before doing
them. I think some of the tagging you used could have been improved, and
your geometry is a bit off. Also, that road was arguably a highway=track,
surface=asphalt, but you tagged it as highway=service. Please make sure to
carry out full consultation before doing any edits. You just did them as a
fait accompli and I think that's wrong.

...Exactly.

These things are discussed, and discussed openly. It's just that the forum
for discussion is not the bearpit that is talk@ (with good reason); that,
pretty obviously, we don't wait to get the approval of every single OSM user
before deploying; that we sometimes deploy in-progress work rather than
waiting for every little detail to be fixed; and that we sometimes make
changes that some people will never like.

Because otherwise, the site would never change at all, and we'd still be on
the Java applet (pre-Potlatch 1) with some barely legible white lines on a
blurry Landsat background. At the same time as you're posting sceptically on
this list, SteveC is moaning on Twitter about it being too little, too late
(bit odd that a founding father spends so much time publicly slagging off
"his" project, but there you go, everyone loves him for it). You simply
can't keep everyone happy.

OSM works because we trust that talented people will do amazing things. OSM
trusts you, as a talented mapper, to make good edits in your area. OSM
trusts the talented developers and sysadmins to do good things with the site
and the hardware. Some things will happen which are not 100% to your liking.
Learn to deal with it.

Because the alternative is that, every time you make an edit, Andrew, you
get 30 complaining mails saying "well I'd have done it differently, you
should have asked me first". The effect is that you give up editing. Believe
me: I have some pretty obvious first-hand experience of this.

cheers
Richard