[OSM-talk] Upgraded map controls

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Sat Jul 20 11:35:42 UTC 2013

Am 20.07.2013 11:53, schrieb Maarten Deen:
> On 2013-07-20 10:25, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
>> James Mast wrote:
>> I'm personally not liking that they now have hidden the
>> long/short links to the map location behind buttons.
>> Instead of just one click to get the map location, now
>> it's two clicks and is really annoying and slowing down
>> work for me. :(
>>
>> Ok, I've said this at least three times elsewhere, but for the benefit of
>> those reading here:
>>
>> The View tab does the same as the Permalink button. Exactly the same.
>> Always
>> has. So you can right-click/copy the permalink from there.
>
> It does not do here. When I open the map it says
> http://www.openstreetmap.org in the address bar.
>
>> I believe the real-soon-now intention is to have the URL continuously
>> updating as you pan around the map (which is possible with JavaScript
>> these
>> days).
>
> Why not implemented that first then. Now we will have to wait if and
> when that happens and have an akward way of getting a permalink.
I had to search for what Richard meant with "View Tab", in German it's
"Karte" (Map), but there he's right: clicking on it is in fact the same
as the previous Permanent-Link in the bottom.
Nevertheless one has to know it is or to know what the permanent link
should look like.

In general I hope the Share-Box is far from final yet with respect on
it's content, as even there one has to KNOW that the link behind "Long
Link" and "short link" is the one to copy; especially as they behave
differently on click: Following "Long Link" allows me to copy the link
from the address bar, Following "Short Link" does not allow to copy the
SHORT link from there, as it's directly forwarded to the long link there.
In both cases a box might be better showing the link on the page itself.

But hey - except of the missing zoom-level indication I think it's
definitively a step in the right direction, so thanks to all involved,
and I'm happy to see more and more cool stuff on the osm page in the
future ;)

regards
Peter