[OSM-talk] Upgraded map controls

Michal Migurski mike at teczno.com
Sun Jul 21 18:18:30 UTC 2013

On Jul 21, 2013, at 5:42 AM, Pieren wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 12:55 AM, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:
>> On 20/07/2013 12:57, Paul Norman wrote:
>
>> Rails port pull requests?!?! wtf.
> :
>> I really think some developers are living in their own world.
>
> lol. They do !
> If you missed the discussion because you don't watch the non-localized
> 35 mailing lists, 5 irc channels, 13 forums, 8 foundation working
> groups reports, all pull requests discussions in github/osm and the
> videos of the last SOTM, it's really your fault :-)

Supporting official venues for orderly change is what the board should be doing, but is not. I would support the creation and use of a proposal/vote/implementation process for the community, even if the first proposal is just "be it resolved that Mapbox accepts responsibility for the visual design of OSM.org".

The new icons and map controls are good and I'm getting accustomed to them, but the process by which they made it onto the site worries me. Mostly, it's because Saman opened his SotM-US talk with a "blow it all up" slide and finished with gamification that I'm uneasy with how we're treating the visual presentation of OSM.org. Gamification is a sad, sorry sideshow and we shouldn't do it; it only became a meme because Zynga made a zillion dollars and look how that turned out. Do we plan to follow through on gamifying the OSM UI as Saman suggested in his talk? I don't know, and I don't want to have to subscribe to Github pull requests to find out.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that OSM.org has mapped the world in a decade.

-mike.

sf/ca            http://mike.teczno.com/contact.html