[OSM-talk] New technology ...

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 20:15:38 UTC 2013

lsces wrote
> The problem is more fundamental than just bad routes, but I suspect Locus
> is part of the problem as all 4 routers have the same problem. Routing
> instructions through any junction with link_xxx gives a 'straight on'
> rather than advising to take the slip road. None of the posts to the
> relevant list have been answred!

OK, this goes so much beyond the change of a few controls on the website, or
any website UI design. It really should be an entirely different topic, as
this has nothing to do with usability, but goes at the hart of the core
data-model and its applicability to turn-by-turn navigation.

lsces wrote
> While the generated instructions give better information, the lack of
> 'lane' information is the follow on that is also important. A standard for
> this interchange would also help ...

There are proposals for lane tagging lanes
"http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Lane" and
"http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:turn". There are even mobile apps
that already use this information where available to provide lane assist.
MapFactor Free being one of them
(http://forum.mapfactor.com/discussion/435/how-to-make-turn-lanes-in-osm-appear-in-mapfactor-free/p1
), I think OSMAnd also supports this. The problem is that there are so far
only few roads mapped with this information

But as with any tagging schema, it is really up to the mappers and data
users to come up with good proposals that work for both and standardize
them.

I am hoping that eventually routing will become part of the main site, to
help guide and improve the whole routing situation and incentivize mappers
to really map the necessary information in a way that is processable by a
routing engine.

Kai