[OSM-talk] Upgraded map controls

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Mon Jul 29 00:30:14 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 3:47 PM, Stefan Keller <sfkeller at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think such highscores don't belong (yet) to the main website os OSM.
> So what I still like to find out, is, what triggered the opposition to
> gamification. I can't find Saman mentioning gamification in his
> presentation (as other reported here) - or did I miss something?

Saman presentation was well timed. People realize that our current site is
outdated and along comes fresh ideas. Saman presented ideas to improve not
only the look and feel but also provided us with a process to introduce a
new users to OSM. In one of his slides I believe he showed badges which may
lead people to think of gamification.

Rather than being for or against the idea of gamification, we really need
to ask if gamification will increase the number of active mappers. While it
may not be something that I like, it may help us incentify mappers. Just
like some people find no need for smartphones, others can't live without
them. (Bad analogy, but it's all that came to mind!) It is possible that we
could have both. Badges and other awards could be part of the user profile
that they can turn on or off.

I applaud Saman for his efforts.

--
Clifford