[OSM-talk] comments on new map widget on main page

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Mon Jul 29 07:13:17 UTC 2013

Michal Migurski wrote:
> Provable evidence that the view tab is not sufficiently
> informing visitors of its functionality? Having a button
> that says “link” is a great clue that there is an option
> to link vs. hunting around.

Perhaps, but this is definitely a pro feature. There _is_ a button that says
"link" (or rather, an icon that indicates "link"). What a small number of
existing OSM pro users are asking for is, additionally, a way of retaining
the single-click behaviour rather than having to open the panel, and the
View tab does that. Surfacing everything that pro users might want isn't a
good way of building a design that appeals to potential newcomers.

But if I say "we need more than one map browser, just as we have more than
one editor" again, I really will start to sound like a stuck record...

cheers
Richard