[OSM-talk] Please test this "Native wikipedia link" - feature

Tirkon tirkon33 at yahoo.de
Wed Jun 26 01:04:07 UTC 2013

If we link from OSM as a international project to a Wikipedia article
there is the problem, that we cannot link everybody to the article of
his native language. In order to overcome this problem I had the idea
to use the new Wikidata project. The first project of Wikidata is to
collect all associated Wikipedia articles of different languages in a
machine-readable format.

In example you will find the object with the ID "1" here:
http://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q1
There you can find all available "translations" of the english article
"Universe"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe

My idea was to use these Wikidata objects to link everybody to the
Wikipedia article of his browser language. For the "Universe" article
this should be done by clicking this:
http://tools.wmflabs.org/wdrdr/cgi-bin/index.cgi?item=q1

For other Wikidata objects / Wikipedia articles you can replace the
"1" by another number. How to find a number? Choose a Wikipedia
article and scroll down. At its left side below the languages you will
find a link to the associated Wikidata object. Click it and take the
number from the adressbar after the "Q". The Wikidata interlanguage
link is implemented in all 280 Wikipedia languages.

Replace the "1" by the number found above and paste it into your
adressbar.
http://tools.wmflabs.org/wdrdr/cgi-bin/index.cgi?item=q1
Now you should see the Wikipedia article in the language of your
browser. Please report here which browsers and which language you have
tried.

Thank you

Of course this "Native Wikipedia link" -feature could not only be used
by OSM. As far as I know this is the first application of Wikidata for
use outside of Wikipedia.