[OSM-talk] Fwd: A short online questionnaire on the OSM users .....(It takes 48 seconds)

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 19:14:29 UTC 2013

One major problem with surveys is the responses.  You really want a cross
section sample so to be meaningful you'd need to generate a random list of
OSM users to send the questionnaire to then try to get the highest response
rate possible.  OSM would need to be involved to send the questionnaire out
by email.  The number needed to create the sample would need to be worked
out mathematically but it could be done.

Language is a problem.

The emails would need to stress the importance of replying even if the
person concerned felt their answers were not important.

I think probably it would make sense to run once a year then over time
multiple years you can see trends.

I'm not certain if you'd target active mappers or inactive ones, we have a
fair number of these.  One technique is to have a basic questionnaire and a
more detailed questionnaire which is sent out to a smaller sub section of
the sample.

I would suggest a coordinated approach since the bigger the survey the
better the quality of results.  It needs a small committee to balance
respondent burden with the value of the research.  I'd also suggest a
sample survey is run first, sometimes the questions or possible answers
don't make sense to the respondents.  For example job, retired isn't an
option yet many mappers are retired.

Cheerio John