[OSM-talk] How useful is the JOSM wiki

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Fri Jun 28 23:43:00 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 9:16 AM, colliar <colliar4ever at aol.com> wrote:

> Hey
>
> I wonder how useful the JOSM wiki is ?
> * Is it used at all ?
> * Why do only a handful persons edit it though you can even edit
> anonymously ?
> Comments ?

I have no interest in, or use for, the JOSM wiki.
These days I expect software to be navigable through the interface.
With all the software we use, who has time to read manuals?

"How to" guides for complicated multistep tasks can be useful... but
older style documentation that simply describes what is already on screen
seems quite outmoded.
For example from the JOSM wiki:
 [image: source:trunk/images/aligncircle.png]<http://josm.openstreetmap.de/browser/trunk/images/aligncircle.png>
Align
Nodes in Circle<http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Help/Action/AlignInCircle>
O Move the selected nodes into a circle[image:
source:trunk/images/alignline.png]<http://josm.openstreetmap.de/browser/trunk/images/alignline.png>
Align
Nodes in Line <http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Help/Action/AlignInLine>
L Move
the selected nodes into a line
I expect to learn the function and shortcuts for menu items from the
software itself.

Perhaps you could share hit count statistics on the 'useful' question.  If
others find it useful they will link from page to page searching for
content.