[OSM-talk] Antarctica coastline/shelf-ice import

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Tue Mar 5 15:48:43 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-05 16:22, Jochen Topf wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 09:57:31AM -0500, Serge Wroclawski wrote:
>> I worked on an Ozone monitoring instrument briefly in my career, and
>> my understanding is that the polar ice caps change often.
>
> No, they don't change all that much. Of course they change a little
> bit all the
> time, the ice cap moves about 10m a year at the South Pole for
> instance, and
> sometimes large icebergs break off from the shelf-ice, but for the
> resolution
> we are talking about here, the resolution interesting for OSM, they
> are
> basically static.
>
>> Are you proposing that we change them every N months?
>
> No.
>
>> If so, I think we have better solutions at our disposal than trying
>> delete/reimport huge areas like this.
>
> This is a misunderstanding. The reason the old data is bad is not that
> Antarctica changed so much between then and now. I don't know why the
> old
> data is so bad, maybe it is because satellite images etc. have
> improved
> since then so better data could be derived.

In the beginning the coastline was very coarse. So much that the then
current algorithm of generating tiles (especially for T at H) sometimes
didn't find data to work with (because nodes were so far apart) so it
rendered an empty tile.
I did a lot of work making it more precise according to the aerials
available. I haven't checked in recent years how it correlates to
current aerials.

Regards,
Maarten