[OSM-talk] Build your own GPS receiver

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Mar 18 06:00:28 UTC 2013

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 10:09 PM, Andrew Gregory
<andrew.gregory at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's all down to your application. What do you want to do that you can't do
> on a $50 smartphone?

Well, the first thing that I'd be looking for is performance...  The
GPS on the phones that I've used have not had great accuracy, or
battery life either.  The Galaxy Nexus that I have right now draws
power faster than a standard 0.5A USB charger can deliver it when the
GPS is on, and I've had no luck finding a car charger that will
deliver more than that to the Nexus.

Second, and actually probably more important, DIY is not always about
doing it _cheaper_, it's about doing it _fun_.

--
Jeff Ollie