[OSM-talk] Build your own GPS receiver

Elena ``of Valhalla'' elena.valhalla at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 10:18:47 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-18 at 11:09:49 +0800, Andrew Gregory wrote:
> However, in terms of making your own receiver, I don't see the point unless
> it is for an extremely specialized task. The reason is cost. The GPS
> breakout board is ~$40. A Raspberry Pi is ~$35. That's already ~$75.
> Shipping not included. I can buy a GPS-enabled Android phone for ~$50. In
> my local supermarket! I could probably get something cheaper on ebay.

I'm doing something similar with olimex components (and an
arduino-like board instead of the raspberry).

12.95 EUR https://www.olimex.com/Products/Duino/AVR/OLIMEXINO-32U4/
39.95 EUR https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules/GPS/MOD-GPS/
 3.95 EUR https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules/Interface/MOD-SDMMC/
 5.95 EUR https://www.olimex.com/Products/Power/BATTERY-LIPO1400mAh/

That's 62.8 EUR, which is in the range of the turn-on-and-forget
GPS loggers (like the iBlue I had that is currently dying)
I could find on amazon. Additional parts (just a bit of protoboard,
headers and a switch) will come from my parts stash and fit in the
10-15% overhead that I allowed in the budget for the fun part
of the project. :)

The main advantage on an android phone [1]_ to me, is the fact that
it can almost be operated while driving (hit the switch while stopped
in traffic just before you decided to try a crazy alternative route,
and it starts logging :) )

.. [1] which last time I've checked started closer to 100 EUR
       than 50EUR in our supermarkets :(

Another advantage is the modularity: while I'm non using it for
logging I can reuse the most expensive part (the GPS, of course)
for additional prototypes / one-time projects.
I also hope that by changing parts I will be able to use it for longer
than my old logger lasted.

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''