[OSM-talk] Crossroad names

Peter Körner osm-lists at mazdermind.de
Sun Mar 24 15:00:45 UTC 2013

Am 24.03.2013 15:10, schrieb Martin Koppenhoefer:
> But there were times when it was easier for the Europeans to "help
> themselves", i.e propose a patch for one of the 2 main open map styles
> (osmarender and mapnik) and have hope that it would be integrated
> (actually in Osmarender you could simply change whatever you felt was
> reasonable). AFAIK almost all recently closed mapnik tickets were
> marked either invalid, won't fix, worksforme or duplicate, but I
> couldn't find hardly anything that actually got integrated.

Currently ist's really hard for anyone (not just Europeans) to do any
change to the mapnik style due tu its complexity. That's why nobody
really works on it; not because they don't care but because its freaking
hard to get the style to do exactly what you want without destroying
sth. else.

Well, someone *is* working on it, he's porting it to Carto to make it
accessable for the broader public, too:
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto

So your best option would be to fork the above mentioned repo,
incorporate your changes, do some test-renderings of areas in
Japan/Korea *and* Europe and put all together into a pull request.

The carto style is not yet deployed on osm.org but I'm really sure it
will land there, soon. The more new features it has over the current
style, the sooner.

Peter