[OSM-talk] Crossroad names

Vladimir Vyskocil vladimir.vyskocil at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 08:48:22 UTC 2013

About crossroad names in Japan, I contributed quite a lot in Tokyo for remapping after odbl "clean up" and recently. I'm french and I'm doing armchair mapping but I'll visit Tokyo in june and this is my motivation to fix and upgrade what I can do from here. I've also made a iOS application using OSM data for travel needs.
I've seen several practical solutions for crossroad names used there, but none of them seems the "right" solution. They have the merit to exists and I think it's time to look at them and find a consensus, then render this very needed information in those area !
Here are some samples of what can be found :

- Here : http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/31254333, the highway=traffic_signals (both of them) have been tagged with the name of the crossing.There are lot of them. It's not the "right" solution for this problem because the information is duplicated accross several traffic_signals and crossing can have a name despite there is no traffic_signals...
- I thought I've seen highway=crossing with name tag but can't find any with overpass API... perhaps I just read someone talking about this possibility

Overpass XAPI call for highway=traffic_signals with names :
http://overpass-turbo.eu/?q=PCEtLQpUaGlzIHF1ZXJ5IGxvb2vEiGZvciBub2Rlcywgd2F5xIhhbmQgcmVsYXRpb27EiAp3aXRoIMS0ZSBnaXZlbiBrZXkuCkNoxJFzxLh5b3XEl8SoxLrEriDEpMSmxIZ0xLZoxLhSdcS-YnV0dMWQYWJvxLwhCsSCPgp7e8WAeT3EhmdoxKB5fX3FqXt2YWzEiz10cmFmZmljX3NpZ27FuXPFtAo8b3NtLXNjcmlwxZXFi3RwxZ09ImpzxK4ixaggIDzFmsStbsaixqPGpMSKxIzEjnR5cGXGnMSZxJvGoQrGqsaqPGhhcy1rdsS_xpzFqsWsxbQiIHbHgsW3xbnEi8eFL8apxrjGusa8xr7HgGvGs2FtZSLHjsa3xrjGpGLFongtxqzEjSDFqsefb3jFtMebx5Avx6N5xqk8L8amxK7HsHDGlG7FlW3EmsayIsWiZHnHmsewxKhjxYzFiMS2xrDHvGRvd27IgcecPMe2ace4IMe6xJvGnHPFgGxlxZ_Ijcebx7HGjsaQxpLGlMaWPg&c=CC313d6v3M&R

Regards,
Vlad.