[OSM-talk] Crossroad names

Andrew Errington erringtona at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 10:40:32 UTC 2013

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 19:29:47 Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Andrew Errington wrote:
> > That's exactly what he did.  So what else is he supposed to do?  Perhaps
> > the wiki should be edited to state "don't bother making graphical
> > suggestions because the system is too unwieldy now and we dare not
> > change it".
>
> No-one has said that. There is an active effort to change it, as Tom
> pointed out:
>
> [quoting Tom]
>
> | The problem is that the original XML stylesheet is all but impossible
> | to edit which is why it is being redeveloped in carto and preparations
> | are being made for deployment of that redeveloped version.
>
> Please don't use unnecessarily pejorative language like "we dare not" and
> thereby denigrate those who _are_ working hard to do something about it.

It's hyperbole, but I apologise.  My point is there is nothing to say that
implementation of any suggestions will be stalled for a while because a new
system is under development.  Not everyone reads the mailing list, and those
who do may not remember that someone mentioned OSM Mapnik is fiddly, and a
new, better, system is being worked on.  It would seem that the typical,
well-meaning user enters a request and sees nothing happening, and that is an
issue.

Best wishes,

Andrew