[OSM-talk] Still need for spam protection and if yes, what about OSM-based CATPCHA?

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Sun May 5 15:06:14 UTC 2013

On 05/05/13 15:56, Stefan Keller wrote:

> I think, there is still a need to protect e.g. comments and account
> registrations against spam and it seems that CAPTCHAs are still the
> best technology to do this.

Why do you think this? There are many things that I would do before
adding a captcha, partly because I doubt a captcha will help.

At the moment I see little evidence of any need for anything however as
most diary spam is either caught automatically, or quickly killed
manually, at least in the english diary entries.

Spam users are harder to quantify, but also less of a problem because in
most cases nobody will ever become aware of their existence.

> 1. Do you also think there still is a need for CAPTCHAs?

I don't think there has even been a need for them.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/