[OSM-talk] OSM relation ID property in Wikidata

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Mon May 6 18:36:48 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 2:26 AM, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> wrote:

> On 06.05.2013 18:54, Peter Wendorff wrote:
> > Do they have something like a persistent ID in wikidata, yet?
>
> I think the Wikidata page title - something like Q35525 - is intended to
> be rather stable. Of course there are sometimes problems, such as
> duplicates or interwiki conflicts, that make it necessary to change
> items. But unlike unlike OSM, Wikidata actually cares about providing an
> ID for a distinct semantic entity.
>
> In my opinion, this is a major reason to link to Wikidata using OSM
> tags, and not the other way round. (Improving our data model in that
> regard doesn't seem realistic in the short term.)

For those who are not on the tagging mailing list, the wikidata=* tag has
been proposed[1], and discussed on the tagging mailing list starting late
February 2013[2]. Based on my assessment of the discussion, there doesn't
seem to be a clamor to add the wikidata=* tag to replace or even as an
additional tag to the wikipedia=* tag. The concern is that wikipedia=* is
much more easier for the average mapper to grasp than the wikidata=* tag.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Wikidata
[2]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2013-February/013077.html