[OSM-talk] Waze navigation

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Tue May 7 12:01:25 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-07 13:53, Simone Cortesi wrote:
> On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Maarten Deen <mdeen at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> Isn't this exactly what OSM is, only now as navigation as a
>> startingpoint? Looking at the map in my area (the Netherlands), I see
>> OSM some 6 years ago.
>>
>> It seems all so superfluous to me, I don't see the point. Why not
>> make a navigation app based on OSM? There are several already.
>
> simply put: money.
>
> they want to sell the data. their map data is closed data. they sell
> traffic data collected by the users, to their clients.

Meanwhile, I was also pointed out that they have different region
servers. The Netherlands map is quite complete if you get the right
link. Looks like they actually bought mapdata because a new building
plot is shown as completed, including streetnames, where on other places
new road developments are missing.

Maarten