[OSM-talk] Overpass area query gives results outside area...

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Wed Nov 6 14:09:03 UTC 2013

On 06/11/2013 14:28, Martin Raifer wrote:
>> As an exercise, let's find Dakar in Senegal
>
> Searching areas by area is not yet supported in Overpass API. See this
> feature request:
>
>   https://github.com/drolbr/Overpass-API/issues/45
>
>> Well... Maybe area selection is inoperative. Let's try with a good
>> old bounding box
>
> This is also not yet implemented, unfortunately:
>
>   https://github.com/drolbr/Overpass-API/issues/55

Ok, thanks for the information. But then why do
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API/Overpass_QL and
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API/Language_Guide mention
selections by bounding box, by polygon and by area ?

> If you only want to get the administrative area "Dakar": Why not
> simply using something like this: [..]

My queries were just test examples - what I actually want to do is find
occurrences of nodes/ways/relations with a given key/value pair, within
Senegal.

I guess I'll do that with xpath queries on a planet extract...
http://download.geofabrik.de/africa.html does not offer Senegal and I'm
not sure I want to handle the 420 MB file... So I guess that for I'll
use a rough bounding box from http://download.bbbike.org/osm/ until I
have a better solution, or just abuse computing resources by using the
whole 420 MB file for this menial job.