[OSM-talk] Antimeridian

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Thu Nov 7 14:37:39 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 07, 2013 at 03:22:52PM +0100, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> On Thursday 07 November 2013, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> >
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/239992362
> >
> > and similar ways? I am leaning towards at least stripping them of the
> > natural=coastline (because they aren't) and of the name tag. If not
> > delete them altogether.
>
> As far as I know osmcoastline is currently only able to close the
> Antarctica coastline on its own and not other open ends further north.
> So these are currently needed for correct processing.  The Antarctica
> closure segments exist as well (being split into several ways recently
> and thereby complicating things a bit) but they are tagged
> coastline=bogus to allow closing at different limits depending on the
> coordinate system used.
>
> Ideally none of these would be in the database (because as you said
> there is no coastline there).

Yes, osmcoastline currently does need the ways at the antimeridian, but
I can fix osmcoastline. I'd rather have correct data and do the fixes
in the postprocessing. Is anybody still using the old coastline processing
software?

> On the other hand you could of course also argue the same way that
> multipolygons extending across the 180°-Meridian should also be
> possible...

That's a bigger proposition. There are only very few people who postprocess
coastline data themselves, but there are many different programs doing the
multipolygon-processing themselves.

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  jochen at remote.org  http://www.jochentopf.com/  +49-721-388298