[OSM-talk] Admin boundaries - data consumers

Arun Ganesh arun.planemad at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 12:45:29 UTC 2013

> In my opinion this is an example where OSM data is broken and should be
> fixed.
>
> Andrew

 In India the law requires that the external boundaries of the country
include parts of Kashmir that is now under control of foreign countries.
This regularly causes issues when OSM is demoed publicly at institutes or
to government officials. Also the startup community is apprehensive of
using openstreetmap because of this issue.

In this case, its the law that is broken, but adapting OSM to be able to
handle such political challenges is more feasible than fixing the law.

Google, Bing and other map providers display a different set of boundaries
based on the laws of the user's country. But for OSM, it would probably a
very simple solution if we have a lowzoom tileset which don't have any
international borders. Would that be a good idea?

--
 Arun Ganesh
(planemad) <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Planemad>