[OSM-talk] Upcoming changes to OpenStreetMap.org website

Daniel Westergren westis at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 11:55:29 UTC 2013

As a rather new user I welcome a modernized start page, as well as better
ways of introducing new users. I avoided OSM for long, although being a
map-interested geek, due to a site looking out-dated and too steep learning
curve not really knowing where to start.

Rather than saying it's a database (even Google Maps is a database,
presented as a map, although more or less homogenous), maybe add something
to describe that there is not ONE map, but the data can be used to produce
any kind of map-related data and render maps for different purposes. Refer
to the imagination of the visitor.

Or why not use the description on the About page: "*OpenStreetMap powers
map data on hundreds of web sites, mobile apps, and hardware devices*"?

I agree with others about importance to consult sight-impaired users,
removing urban-centred references like subway stations, keeping data
up-to-date not being the main agenda, export needing explanation and that a
Help link should be more prominent (put it where Export is now and put
Export where the Help is now, as Export is not something most people would
know how to use anyway).

/Daniel