[OSM-talk] Welcome box on the new map page

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sat Nov 30 18:50:18 UTC 2013

Simon Poole wrote:
> Lester
>
> Isn't
> a) the welcome box
> and
> b) the Learn more/About page
> a -lot- better on explaining what OSM is about than anything you could
> find within one click (if at all) on the old site?
>
> I really fail to see what you believe was better about the old layout,
> maybe if you could give an example?

If you simply remove the welcome box, then the page looks very much as if one is
already logged into something? Most of the dropdowns make no sense UNTIL one has
an account and are logged in? What is 'export' intended to do? I just get a
white screen when I click the button.

The 'about' page seems like a waste of space? The fact that 75% of my screen is
grey was the first put off, but I could not find links that took me to anything
usable from that page. It NEEDS to take you on to somewhere that is a little
more useful? Also the help button is equally obscure? The help list is not the
easiest to understand, only wiki gives a feeling of something helpful, which is
why I've defaulted links to that rather than the map.

The 'improved' page is ideal as a general interface to editing the map, but what
is needed is a 'community' page - which the old page provided! - at least there
was some direction to other areas rather than having to search for any usable
links! While the old setup was messy, it did it's job reasonably well, and we
STILL need that type of page, with improvements which the new setup totally
ignores! We need links to LOCAL community pages and LOCAL support and that is
what the 'about' box should be doing at the very least!

At least the old page was 'functional' even if it was not 'elegant' ... looking
at the way 'Google maps' work, bringing back a right hand area which can be
hidden is probably what is required but what is currently provided is not doing
the job as far as I am concerned. What we have now is not usable as advertsing
for OSM, which is what all the 'View larger map' links are designed to access?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL