[OSM-talk] Who interprets semicolon in tag values?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 05:04:48 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 9:08 PM, NopMap <ekkehart at gmx.de> wrote:

> The original example wasn't mine, but I think it is very common that a pub
> has much later opening hours than a restaurant. Having both as part of the
> same enterprise is a british speciality if I remember my visits correctly.
>
> And mapping them as separate POIs is the only practical and human readable
> way we currently have available, that's the point. :-)

I have to agree with this. The most common clashes I run into mapping towns
in Australia;

bakery/cafes (technically you could do amenity=cafe, shop=bakery)
general store/cafe
general store/fuel
general store/post office
pub/hotel (I tend to create two nodes, in roughly the right places)
pub/restaurant (in the country, I take the restaurant as assumed - every
pub serves meals at least some days of the week)
cafe/bar

A general solution that would solve these and other problems would be a
relation to group parts of the same business. That way, you could have the
expressiveness of precise tagging (eg, "is there a bakery near here? yes.
is there a cafe near here? yes") but easy rendering: show one icon, and the
renderer can decide whether it's a cafe or bakery icon.

Steve