[OSM-talk] Administrative boundaries export

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 10:19:40 UTC 2013

2013/10/3 Christian Quest <cquest at openstreetmap.fr>

> Well, I think I fully understand all the diversity, but when you want the
> "shape of UK" or Liberia, I presume most people expect the land, not the
> maritime boundaries claimed ones or whatever.

yes, but you don't need a special relation for this, you only have to find
out the coastlines inside the territory (and where they cross the national
borders so you can find out the land borders to other countries).

> This does not prevent to have 2 boundary relations, one for land boundary
> and one including maritime ones

you don't need them, and you will put unneccessary heavy load on the db
creating a relation with all coastlines and the land side borders in it (as
the coastlines are much more detailed than the baseline). In the end,
that's the reason we do coastlines with shapefiles and not with huge
polygons. We used to have a landmass relation for Italy as well, because
some well meaning mappers have created them for us, but it was continuously
broken and augmented the complexity for coastline edits with an
unneccessary complication. It grew in short time to 928 versions, so after
a discussion on talk-it, and with nobody needing it, we decided to delete
it some weeks ago: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/957374

> (that's the case for France for example + one including overseas land),
> but make sure the tagging is homogeneous worldwide as far as possible to
> allow easy reuse of data.

My suggestion would be to delete the French landmass relation as well for
homogenisation ;-)

cheers,
Martin