[OSM-talk] Administrative boundaries export

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 3 13:06:12 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-03 14:53, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> 2013/10/3 Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com>
>
> All the states or countries maps I've seen in my life used the
> coastline. It does not mean that the sovereignty stops at the water
> line. It's just a convention.
>
> how many states or country maps have you seen in scale 1:1000?

All maps I have seen make a clear distinction between land and sea. Only
a very small number of maps I've seen actually show borders on
international waters.

So it all depends on what you want to show and how you visualise it. If
you make a map of Germany or the Netherlands with one color within the
borders in the sense of territorial waters, I think few people would
recognise them.
For the netherlands, you would have a smooth coastline without islands
(Zeeland and Waddeneilanden).

Regards,
Maarten