[OSM-talk] Changeset comments

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Sat Oct 5 11:03:33 UTC 2013

On 5 Oct 2013, at 11:02, sabas88 <sabas88 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/10/5 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
>

> > Am 05/ott/2013 um 09:47 schrieb sabas88 <sabas88 at gmail.com>:
> >
> > when editing outside my country, I try to give changeset comments in english to let other mappers understand what I did in their area.
>

> wouldn't it make sense to use English also when editing inside your own country?
>
> This is imho too far, if I map in my country and I make a local change why I should write in english? Another topic could be if the changeset involves an import or a discussed large scale edit...

Taken another way, when on holiday in another country where I don't know the language well enough to be able to talk/write it, I'll write in English a language that I do know. There are translation tools out there, thus although a tad awkward, can be used to get and idea of what has been written.

Shaun