[OSM-talk] New technology ...

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 16:15:59 UTC 2013

There is still one small problem with the redesign that maybe could be
addressed: coordinates when sharing, e.g. from clicking on node coordinates
in the history. When you check the edits of new users by looking at their
changesets, sometimes you'll see nodes moved or deleted and want to check
where they were. I used to click on the coordinates in the history and
added a "m" in front of lat and long in order to show a pin. Now this was
changed to the (better) way of doing stuff with the share->marker workflow,
but the problem is that the marker won't show up on the coordinates that
you clicked.

The problem is apparently the sidebar, which reduces the width of the
screen and so the marker gets placed more left than the original
coordinates that you clicked. E.g. click on
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=41.9057293&lon=12.4507422&zoom=18 and
then on share will create you this link:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=41.90573&mlon=12.45007#map=18/41.90573/12.45007
(with my screen resolution). Besides the rounding of the coords to 5 digits
you can see that the lon gets modified in the process (in the second
example with zoom2 there was also a modification of the latitude).

Obviously in lower zoom levels that is much more:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=2/0/0 becomes
with the sidebar opening:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=-0.2&mlon=-43.8#map=2/-0.2/-43.8
with the sidebar already open: